Ruth Laird is a contemporary jewellery designer/maker based in Glasgow. Since graduating from the Glasgow School of Art in 2011, she has completed an Artist in Residency position at Birmingham School of Jewellery, and exhibited work at a range of international events, most recently SIERAAD international jewellery art fair in Amsterdam.
Ruth is primarily inspired by the relationship between Maths and creativity, and how geometry is used in visual art. Influenced by the way street art contrasts with surrounding architectural structures, her work is a combination of precision and chaotic composition. Working mainly in silver, she assembles folded, angular shapes together with wire structures, often incorporating a moving feature such as a sliding element or hinged panel, and embellishes these forms with hints of spray painted colour. The result is creative, geometric jewellery, which invites the wearer to interact with the piece.
For enquiries and commissions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Glasgow School of Art, Sep 2007 – Jun 2011: First Class BA (Hons) in Silversmithing and Jewellery Design, with a Distinction from the Forum for Critical Inquiry
Tramway Visual Arts Studio, Aug 2006 – March 2007: Portfolio Preparation Course
EXHIBITIONS AND EVENTS
- SIERAAD International Jewellery Art Fair, Westergasfabriek, Amsterdam, 7 – 10 November 2013
- MADE London, One Marylebone, London, 25 – 27 October 2013
- Only One: Mokspace Gallery, London, 12 June – 7 July 2013
- Spectrum: Artists in Residence Show 2013, Birmingham School of Jewellery, 8 – 24 May 2013
- Spotlight @ Smiths Row, Suffolk, 18 Jan – 23 March 2013
- Designer Jewellers Group: Selected New Designers 2012, The Barbican, London, 9 November 2012 – 1 January 2013
- Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair, Spinningfields, Manchester, 4 – 7 October 2012
- JOYA 2012, FAD, Barcelona, 11 – 13 October 2012.
- New Designers 2012: ONE YEAR ON, Business Design Centre, London, 27 – 29 June 2012
- Getting Started 2012, Goldsmiths Hall, London, 26 January
- ReFound, Pop–up Gallery, Glasgow, 4 – 25 November 2011
- New Designers 2011, Business Design Centre, London, 29 June – 2 July 2011
- GSA Degree Show 2011, Newbury Gallery, Glasgow School of Art, 10 – June 2011
- Something For Someone, Che Camille, Glasgow, June 2010
- Pace Maker, Atrium Gallery, Glasgow School of Art, May 2010
- Glasgow 5 March 1971, Vic Gallery, Glasgow School of Art, March 2010
- Pictures at an Exhibition, Atrium Gallery, Glasgow School of Art, May 2009